Sep 1st, 2022
If you're considering a trip to Kashmir, one thing you must do is sample the native food. Kashmiri cuisine's rich flavors and distinctive spices make it a must-try for every foodie. Here is a list of 10 must-try Kashmir foods for your next journey with OurGuest to help you explore the culinary wonders of this gorgeous area.
1. Rogan Josh- Rogan Josh is a traditional Kashmiri meal that is a must-order for every foodie on their Kashmir itinerary. This delectable red meat curry has soft chunks of beef cooked in a thick stew of tomatoes, onions, and a fragrant spice combination. It's usually accompanied with steaming rice or Kashmiri pulao.
2. Yakhni- Yakhni is a typical Kashmiri meal cooked with a yogurt-based sauce with soft mutton or chicken chunks. Yakhni's creamy texture and subtle flavors make it a delectable complement to your Kashmir itinerary.
3. Kashmiri Pulao- No Kashmiri dinner is complete without the fragrant and colorful Kashmiri Pulao. This flavorful rice dish is made with a variety of dried fruits, nuts, and saffron, giving it a distinct and welcoming flavor.
4. Dum Aloo- Dum Aloo is a traditional Kashmiri vegetarian meal made of tiny potatoes fried in a spicy sauce. The potatoes are deep-fried before being cooked in a thick tomato-based sauce and curd, resulting in a delectable blend of flavors.
5. Kahwah- If you enjoy tea, Kahwah is a must-try drink in Kashmir. This traditional Kashmiri tea is flavored with cardamom, cinnamon, and saffron and is frequently served with almonds or pistachios. It's the ideal method to stay warm on chilly Kashmir evenings.
6. Modur Pulao- Modur Pulao is not your typical pulao meal from your mother's tiffin. It's made with milk, saffron, ghee, and cinnamon deliciousness. The rice is then topped with many dried fruits such as almonds, cashews, and raisins. Because of the sugar used, you will notice a trace of sweetness. The main component is saffron, which is farmed in Kashmir. The beautiful golden color provided by saffron to rice is quite appealing. This Kashmiri meal is one of the must-try Kashmiri recipes for rice lovers. This meal is also the most popular traditional cuisine in Jammu & Kashmir.
7. Tabak Maaz- Tabak Maaz is a must-try delicacy in Kashmir if you enjoy meat dishes. It is made of fried lamb ribs marinated in spices and cooked till tender and juicy. This meal is frequently served as an appetizer and will leave you wanting more.
8. Goshtaba- Kashmiris, even Kashmiri intellectuals, like meat. As a result, there are several nonvegetarian cuisines in Kashmir's eating culture. Goshtaba is a classic delicacy with a regal flavor that began as a feast for monarchs. As a result, it is only prepared on royal occasions in the Kashmir home. It is just minced mutton balls cooked in yogurt gravy with the benefit of different spices. Its enticing flavors will make you want more than one dish.
9. Kashmiri Saag- Kashmiri Saag is a tasty and nutritious meal cooked with leafy greens such as spinach, collard greens, and mustard greens. It is seasoned with garlic and red chili and cooked with spices, giving it a nutritious and savory complement to your Kashmiri culinary experience.
10. Sheer Chai- Don't forget to finish your gastronomic adventure through Kashmir with a cup of Sheer Chai. Sheer Chai is a classic pink tea brewed with milk, almonds, and subtle cardamom notes. It is typically served with deep-fried pastries known as "khajla" or "bakarkhani."
Exploring the rich and diverse Kashmiri food is a must-do while visiting this wonderful area. There are several recipes that will tantalize your taste buds, whether you are a vegetarian or a meat lover. Kashmir has something for everyone, from the savory joys of Rogan Josh and Dum Aloo to the sweet smells of Modur Pulao and Sheer Chai. So, for a really unforgettable culinary experience, incorporate these ten must-try Kashmir foods in your next Kashmir itinerary with OurGuest.